Yes but to make battery swapping economical we need the D cell for car
batteries and given the proliferation of laptop and camera batteries that
seems unlikely.  You can buy a  rechargeable D cell at your local retail
store that has a capacity of 2200maH just like the AA beside it - guess
what - it's just a AA in sheep clothing.  You can also get a D cell with
10,000maH capacity for several times the price and it weights considerably more.

So pick what you need they will both fit in the same flashlight or radio or toy
robot or ...

Lawrence Harris