You bring up a lot of useful considerations, Ben.

I'll just quibble somewhat with your conclusion below about BEVs as a "second car."

"...for families that are going to have two cars anyway..."

Actually a lot of folks are reporting that what becomes the "second car" is the ICE, not the BEV.

That's our experience, too. We drive the electric car on the vast majority of our trips, while the ICE car is used rarely.

Of course YMMV.

With current tech, something like the Volt makes sense for a single car family when usage patterns (and budget) requires some percentage of long trips beyond affordable electric range and/or fast charging.

But for a two car family the possibilities open up a bit more, and that's where trip length statistics favor the BEV as being the "first car" covering most of the trips. Maybe unexpectedly so, for some folks. The Volt can be a good second car in that scenario.

So, bottom line, it's good to have choices right now. People have different needs to meet. As you pointed out, all the options we're discussing help transfer miles to electric.

As the battery tech and charging infrastructure continue to develop, the BEV configuration becomes more and more applicable to more and more driving patterns.

Cheers,
 -Jamie