I think in certain situations, an EV could be a very good purchasing
decision -- just based on cost, nothing else.  I was looking at the numbers
for leasing a leaf vs leasing a prius (which I am now doing), and the lease
cost is about the same (if anything, the Leaf is a little cheaper to
lease), and the fuel cost is quite a bit less with the leaf, if the primary
use is just for commuting.  If used for more longer trips, the prius might
win out (vs using another vehicle for longer trips that doesn't get as good
of mileage as the prius would), but it's close.

I've always wanted the EV for the environmental reasons, but looking at the
Leaf leases was the first time I realized that it might make more sense
just be be cheap, too :)