The number of people buying the high end Tesla cars is and will be
exceedingly small and no concern for the grid operators.  The number of
people who will buy a second probably much larger pack for their home (so
they can still charge after a number of cloudy days) will also be very
small.  So that leaves everyman charging slow in the least expensive way -
probably from the grid, and spending those dollars saved on more obvious
needs than fast charging.

Of course at some point battery packs will be come cheap enough that the
lowly like myself may consider it.  This is not near term however.

Solar at home is good if you have nice treeless southern exposure and some
acreage in that direction.  A lot of people will be plugging in some other
way, charging stations make sense for them.  I expect to see big solar
arrays and batteries for fast charging at a price, but not a very high
price.

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 3:04 PM, Ben Goren via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2014, at 10:53 AM, Michael Ross <michael.e.r...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I can't see why I need a high rate of charge at home.
>
> Need? Obviously not. Want? Who wouldn't? The question is what it'd cost.
> You can be sure Elon himself will have such a station in his own personal
> garage. If it "only" costs ten grand or so, many if not most of those who
> buy high-end Teslas and comparable future luxury cars will have it as well.
> If the price comes down to the range of today's chargers, they'll be
> standard equipment.
>
> > If you are economizing you never build for peak demand.
>
> Again, it depends on the application. Grid operators are notorious penny
> pinchers, but they build for significantly more than typical annual peak
> demand. Bridge builders, if they're not criminally incompetent, also build
> for significantly more than peak demand. Home EV charging, on the other
> hand, is going to be governed more by absolute cost than the desire to
> charge in the time it takes to get the kids changed out of school clothes
> and into the soccer uniform.
>
> > However, many cars on the grid charging slowly still requires some sort
> of compensatory, mitigating, constructing effort.
>
> Fortunately, that's already happening by itself -- though it's yet to be
> seen if the trend will continue. Specifically, those with EVs are
> significantly more likely to also have solar generation on their rooftops
> in excess of the capacity needed just for the car. Many don't just offset
> the car's usage, but the entire household plus car. The math works out to
> roughly as much non-vehicular household energy consumption as vehicular, so
> those people have already built the capacity for their neighbors to get an
> EV without going solar and a net wash for the grid. Hopefully, though, of
> course, everybody will go solar, regardless of vehicle ownership....
>
> b&

*Dalai Lama *

Tell me what it is you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?