On Oct 16, 2014, at 9:49 AM, EVDL Administrator via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> As long as "EVs are ...a poor purchasing decision ..." the
> only way we'll get significant numbers of ordinary folks to buy them is to
> give them (the people, I mean) cash or other monetary incentives.

This is true for most personal car buyers, but the gap overall is narrowing and
already favors electric in some very significant categories.

First, unless I'm mistraken, the fastest-accelerating 0-60 production car on
the market isn't the famous McLaren F1, but the Tesla S. That a luxury electric
sedan beats a gasoline-powered supercar on the drag strip (even if not on the
salt flats) is remarkable. For those for whom money is no object, electric
vehicles are already going toe-to-toe with their gas-powered competitors.

Next, those economies of scale already result in superior financial results for
many fleet operators, especially for heavy vehicles. See the recent story about
Chicago's adoption of electric garbage trucks; they're saving money by going
electric. You can therefore expect adoption of electric municipal vehicles to
start to skyrocket. Via motors is another example; if you buy their trucks and
vans and run them 80% of the time electrically, you've essentially electrified
80% of your fleet even though 100% of them still have a gas tank.

And that last point has some silent-but-deadly force multipliers working for
it. If an electric garbage truck needs ten times as many batteries as a family
sedan that weighs a tenth as much, then each truck is the same for the battery
factory as ten cars. A fleet of an hundred such trucks is as big an order as a
thousand car sales -- and the former is much easier to pull off than the latter.

For the immediate future, personal electric vehicles will remain the province
of enthusiasts and early adopters who don't care as much about the financial
costs, but it won't be all <i>that</i> much longer before anybody who
calculates vehicle expenses over a five-year term will unquestionably pick the
electric model as the better investment. And not much longer after that,
electric will be akin to an "upgrade" from a manual to an automatic
transmission such that only the most extremely short-sighted (or those who
prefer gasoline for other reasons) will avoid electric.

Cheers,

b&