On 16 Oct 2014 at 8:54, Rick Beebe via EV wrote:

> EVs are, in general, a poor purchasing decision anyway .... But
> driving electric isn't about the economics or the convenience. For me
> it's about the environment and where I choose to send my money.

This is a problem for EVs, mostly because people like you and me are in
short supply.  As long as "EVs are ...a poor purchasing decision ..." the
only way we'll get significant numbers of ordinary folks to buy them is to
give them (the people, I mean) cash or other monetary incentives.

The hope is that by offering these incentives, we stimulate EV production,
economy of scale kicks in, and EVs actually DO become a good purchasing
decision without the incentives.

I think it will work.  Still, I can't help thinking of the print ads that
Toyota ran 40 years ago.

Detroit's Big Three were really starting to feel the pinch of higher quality
in imports, along with their own failure to offer anything really fuel-
efficient and decent (think Ford Pinto and Chevy Vega) in the wake of the
OPEC boycott.  To stimulate their lagging sales, GM, Ford, and Chrysler
introduced their first (in my memory) rebates.

Toyota didn't need rebates.  They had well-made, fuel-efficient cars.  In
fact, they could hardly make them fast enough. They didn't stop advertising,
though.  And they couldn't resist needling Detroit a bit: "When you build
good cars," they wrote, "you don't have to pay people to buy them."

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator