I can't see why I need a high rate of charge at home.  If you are
economizing you never build for peak demand.  However, many cars on the
grid charging slowly still requires some sort of compensatory, mitigating,
constructing effort.

This is not how batteries for cars will be charged at home.  Maybe at
filling stations.

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 1:27 PM, Ben Goren via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2014, at 10:04 AM, Peter Gabrielsson via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
> wrote:
>
> > As for cellphones the real limiter on how fast you can recharge tends to
> be
> > the connector, cables and power supply.
>
> Cars, too. 10 kWh / minute is 600 kilowatts, a most impressive power
> transfer rate. That's going to be a significant fraction of your
> neighborhood's total average power draw -- all for just one car to charge
> at that rate (though, of course, only for a few minutes).
>
> If that's going to be how we charge our cars, we're going to need at least
> twice as many batteries: one set in the car as today, and then another set
> at the charging station that slow-charges at whatever rate its grid tie can
> handle -- and that then fast-discharges into the car's battery. Charging
> stations will still have massive underground storage, only full of
> batteries rather than gasoline tanks.
>
> ...though the electric utilities might actually find something like that
> desirable. The same stations that charge cars could provide peaking power
> back to the grid. At least today it'd be a very expensive capital
> investment, but the operational costs would be trivial to today's peaking
> generators. If the companies think they can make an offsetting profit by
> becoming the new "gas" stations, it could well happen.
>
> b&

*Dalai Lama *

Tell me what it is you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?