On 25 Mar 2015 at 12:11, Michael Ross via EV wrote:

>  If I had to buy a $5500 pack and some unknown labor every 5 years that
> would really suck.  I expect cars to last 10+ years.

You and everyone else.  This is much of what killed the few lead-battery EVs
offered in the 1980s and 1990s.  Owners typically drove the cars for 3-4
years (if they were lucky and if they did the maintenance right), and then
had to cough up $1000-2000 for a new battery.  They expected to spend that
kind of money on rebuilding an ICEV's transmission after 7 or 8 years, so
when it came round again in another 3-4 years, the car went into the local
Auto Trader magazine (remember those?) as "needs batteries," the asking
price a fraction of what the owner paid new.  (Great deals for folks like
us!)

Never mind that the owner had paid nothing for oil changes and tune-ups all
that time (in those days ICEVs needed more of that stuff).  All he saw was
that big battery bill, and he "expect[ed] cars to last 10+ years."

In the meantime ICEVs haven't stood still.  They are now a much harder
target to hit when competing on reliability, quiet, comfort, and smoothness -
maybe even on social values, though Western buyers are not known for caring
much about the social impact of their buying choices.

I sometimes compare ICEVs to the highly evolved phono cartridges available
in the 1970s and 1980s.  (For you young people, I'm talking about playing
vinyl records.)  Just when it seemed they had reached their peak, PCM
digital reproduction came along and offered some clear advantages.  LPs,
turntables, and phono cartridges are still manufactured today, but in tiny
quantities.

If that were a good analogy, when the Leaf (or EV1, or RAV4-EV, or whatever)
came out it should have quickly buried ICEVs, with every manufacturer
rushing to tool up to make EVs.  But that didn't happen.  Why not?

Though there are some personal pluses to EVs, and we love them - let's face
it, they're just not comparable to the CD's advantage over LPs.  The biggest
ones accrue to society as a whole, and as I said, around here that isn't on
Joe and Jane Average's smartphone screen.

For Joe or Jane to consider an EV, society has PAY him or her in the form of
government subsidies, and that's subject to political whim.  I'm surprised
we still have them in the US, and don't expect them to last another 5 years.
 They might last longer in the EU, if they manage to stabilize their
economy.  But the EU has other hurdles for EVs to deal with.

So maybe my analogy above is wrong.  EVs vs ICEVs is more like satellite or
digital radio vs traditional FM broadcast: they're better, all right, but
they solve a problem that most users / buyers just don't care that much
about.

I'm a big EV fan, but I'm also realistic about how much of the market
they're going to own in the short term.  Until the gas pumps finally run
dry, I'm afraid EVs will remain a (small) minority.  Better get yours while
you can.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator