 Subject: Re: [EVDL] ENERDEL Battery Experiences
 To: "Jeff Major" <jff_...@yahoo.com>, "Electric Vehicle Discussion List"
<ev@lists.evdl.org>
 Date: Sunday, March 29, 2015, 11:58 PM

 I wonder why their
 website is so skimpy, given they seem to be legit.  Do
 they actually make the cells in the US, or just
 assemble the packs?

 downloaded the spec sheet.

 http://www.enerdel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Cell-Binder.pdf

 What I see in terms of cycle
 life is not instructive.  The product page
 says:
 "

    - Durability and
 low self-discharge; retains greater than 85% of initial
    capacity after more than 3,000
 cycles at 100% DOD and 30°C
    ​"

 They cut off charging at 4.1V and call that
 100% SOC.  They say the nominal
 voltage is
 3.6V.  This sounds like a LiFePO4 voltage.  But, it is a
 guess​
 - they don't reveal it.

 LFP is particularly vulnerable
 to deterioration at lower temperatures than
 other cell chemistries.  At 35°C (104°F) LFP
 starts to have accelerating
 deterioration.
 It would be interesting to see how close to the 45°C
 line
 that they do show is to the 35°C line
 that they don't show.  The best of
 all
 information would be a family of curves that illustrates the
 region
 where deterioration accelerates.

 The graph on the spec sheet
 shows a 30°C curve that has only ~75% of
 capacity at 3000 cycles, not 85%.  So I am
 confused about that information.​
 ​
 ​

 I am going to digress to my pet topic here,
 cell testing:

 They have a
 C/2 charge and discharge rate. So the cycles are 1 hour
 start
 to finish.  They don't indicate a
 dwell time at the max SOC. So they take
 it
 up and immediately bring it back down.   Also the
 test equipment must be
 capable of sensing
 the decrease in capacity very precisely.  Not many
 people have this equipment, yet.  If
 understand why HOC is better and
 we push for
 it , then eventually it will supplant what is used now.
 The
 video I keep linking to- Dr. Dahn
 discuss
 ​es​
 this in
 some detail.

 If high
 precision coulometry (HPC) is used, then you have better
 chance of
 knowing about the cells true
 durability in service.   WIth HPC y
 ou can have far few
 ​er​
 cycles and detect damage if you just hold at
 the fully charged state and
 temperature
 ​ - nothing much else matters​
 .  But
 ​,​
 if the idea is to show lots of cycles, not
 actually evaluate how NOT to
 operate the
 cells, then you run cycles like they have
 ​ (​
 and most everyone else
 in the business).​

 I am
 not say they are bad guys, but pointing out the problem with
 the bad
 old ways of testing cells.

 The problem that kills Li ion
 cells is the fully charged state
 coinciding with higher temperature. The mechanism of damage
 is achieving
 a reaction activation energy
 when the cell is fully charged.  Below that
 temperature there is far less of a
 problem.   To evaluate the cell quality
 of design and manufacture you actually need to
 see at what conditions the
 cells
 deteriorate.

 You could take
 the same physical cells and use
 different
 electrolyte packages, test them with 1 hour cycles and see
 no
 difference, but with HPC and long dwell
 times you could
 tell which combination is
 better.  This is where the industry need to go.

  Mike

 On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 10:31
 PM, Jeff Major via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
 wrote:

 Hello EVDL,

 EnerDel makes a great cell and battery here in the USA.  I
 have been to
 > their factory in the
 Indianapolis area many times.  I use the product just
 > about every day.  I can write more but
 want to see if this message makes to

 thru to the board.
 > Regards,
 > Jeff Major
 >

 >      On Sunday, March 29, 2015 9:09 PM,
 HARSHA GODAVARI via EV <
 wrote:

 >  Their contact info shows their location
 as,"Greenfield .Ind" May be

 someone in the vicinity can pay them a visit.

 Ross via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
 "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <
 > ev@lists.evdl.org>
 > Sent: Monday, March 30, 2015 12:09:01
 AM
 > Subject: Re: [EVDL] ENERDEL Battery
 Experiences

 Mike,

 > Caveat
 emptor.

 > A US
 company, but I can't see any information on the website
 that tells me
 > they have a good cell,
 modules or packs. It is rather uninformative. I
 > can't tell if they are more than an
 outlet for a non-US company.

 > To me the most important thing to know is
 what they cells are made of, and
 > have
 they had useful life testing; which is to say high
 precision
 > coulometry. WIthout that
 knowledge there I very little about the life spec
 > that is comforting. This will be hard to
 get from any manufacturer because
 > it is
 new. But the usual life testing is very weak. If you find
 out more
 > about the actual chemistry
 then you could look into that. Kick it around
 > on thes forum.
 >
 > They say nothing about their US
 facilities. If I had to guess they are

 made overseas and branded ENRDEL. I would want to know more
 about that
 > manufacturing.
 >
 > They do not cite a
 single customer application. They talk about how they
 > could do these applications, but don't
 identify any actual uses.

 > There is only one actual photograph of a
 cell, module, pack, or BMS. All
 > CAD
 renderings - not a good sign.
 > http://www.enerdel.com/se175-384-a-secure/
 > shows a completly generif metal box with
 lifting eyes. Not even and
 > ENERDAL
 log.

 > Call me
 suspicious.

 > They
 might be an outlet for a perfectly competent Chinese
 manufacturer, or
 > who knows what.
 >
 > Maybe you can get
 them to show you the beef. Maybe some testimonials? A
 > happy customer you can call?

 Mike Ross

 at 5:22 PM, Mike via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
 wrote:

 > > I am
 in the process of deciding what type of Lithium batteries to
 use.
 > > Been through all the retoric
 on CALB, etc. Read the used Nissan battery
 > > threads and am leaning toward ENERDEL
 batteries for two reasons,, (1)
 > They
 > > are a US company and (2) the
 discharge curve seems to be a steady

 declining
 > > ramp with a ‘soft’
 end point. EVOLVE Electrics is also very helpful. I am
 > > well aware the company had a rough
 few years but it looks like they have

 > recovered. Looking for a 144 volt nominal/168V max
 system and 200 AHrs.
 > > So…does
 anyone have any solid experience using ENERDEL batteries?

 > To invent, you need a good
 imagination and a pile of junk.
 > Thomas
 A. Edison