Lawrence,

It is simple: measure the surface area of the car and multiply by the expected
PV efficiency,
then you know why a Solar Racer needs full sun overhead most of the day *and*
be an extreme car
to achieve any speed or range.

Example: typical car is about 12 ft long, 5 or 6 ft wide.
The max that you could achieve is a solar roof that has the same outline as the
car itself
(the principle of a solar racer) so that gives about 60-70 sq ft.
With very efficient panels, that may generate up to 1kW in perfect sun
conditions and since
most lighter cars have about 0.2 kWh per mile, you can do about 5 miles per
hour with that power. Oops.

For cruising down the freeway, you need about 15kW, so to maintain that
ability, your solar panel
must be delivering 15 times as much power as the one I just suggest can do
under optimal conditions,
so in real life when there are some clouds, the sun not directly overhead, some
trees or buildings
causing shade and so on, your solar car needs an even bigger solar panel.

I have seen motorcycles and bicycles run at lower power, there was a trike with
a solar roof that
attended several EV events, but if you go up in speed then they consume close
to what a car does
at speed, simply caused by aerodynamics. Look at how records are set on a bike:
you can only go fast
with either a fairing or by following a vehicle in the drag.
e-Bikes can live off of less than 1kW, but now you are talking about 15-20 MPH
on bicycle wheels,
not a car for the highway.

What is it that you are trying to achieve?

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626          Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130          private: cvandewater.info
www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received this
message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any unauthorized
use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of this message is
prohibited.