Michael Ross via EV wrote:
I have heard EM say that Ni is the costliest part of Ni containing cells,
even more than CO or Mn (also not inexpensive).

Could be; but commodity prices for various materials are notoriously fickle. Nickel is far from scarce, and is already mass produced. It's widely used to make stainless steel, for instance.

Nickel-cadmium and nickel-metal-hydride cells aren't especially expensive per watthour; they're often less than lithium, and barely more than lead-acid. So I agree with David; I don't see why nickel-iron cells are so insanely expensive. My guesses are a) low production volume, and b) because they can get it.

When used in batteries, the nickel is easily recyclable. Even if the cells cost more, you also get more back at end of life when they are recycled.

--
Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any
good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats. -- Howard Aiken