Folks talk about C-rate, but what you really care about is specific power. That is the maximum number of watts that a cell will put out, divided by it's weight. Power to weight is what it is all about. (A capacitor has phenomenal C rate, but only a _tiny_ capacity. What good does that do you at the end of the 1/4 mile?) A good quality car battery will put out 300 w/kg, just to give you a sense of scale for the number.

The high power and high capacity version of the A123 Systems cordless tool cells, 26650 M1 -B, can easily put out 50C. (Not to be confused with the factory seconds or "B" cells.) When warmed to the optimal temperature, they will put out over 70C. This is ~180+ amps from a 2.5 a-hr cell. About 4500 w/kg.

If you need a lot of energy, then cordless tool cells are a bit small, so their hybrid pouch cells are more like it. Their hybrid pouch cells will put out 32 C (450 A from a 14 a-hr cell) continuously. This is what is in our land speed vehicle. About 2700 w/kg.

Their 20 a-hr "energy" pouch cell, which has smaller tabs and internal interconnects, will only put out about ~15C continuously. Larger under short duration loads. Basically, the tabs overheat and limit the current. These were originally built for the Volt.

The A123 Systems F1 cells are absolutely the king as far as specific power. No one makes anything even close. Their F1 18700 1.5 a-hr cell will put out an unbelievable 500 amps (continuous!) Over 20,000 w/kg. Over 300C. There newest cells for Formula 1 put out much higher numbers, but they won't even tell me the exact numbers.

The high capacity high power cordless tool cells cost about $8 each, and you have to weld a _lot_ of tabs together to build a drag racing pack. The upside is, these cells will last forever if properly cared for. Well over 15,000 cycles. The pouch cells will last awhile as well. I think their spec sheet says greater than 5000 cycles.

The pouch cells cost about $700 per kw-hr, (in quantity) and they are already built into a pack.

The F1 cells cost so much that if you have to ask, you simply can't afford them. They are insanely expensive.

Bill D.