According to
https://seriousaccidents.com/legal-advice/top-causes-of-car-accidents/ the #1
reason for an accident is distracted driving.

In this case that would seem to be the cause.  It is certainly clear that the
technology involved might have increased the chance that the driver felt they
didn’t need to constantly watch the road but never the less the actual cause
was probably not watching where they were going and reacting appropriately.  I
would like Tesla and others to continue to work on the safety aspects of the
vehicle systems to help prevent more of these sort of incidents and it’s clear
in other videos that the collision avoidance system do in fact work, just not
100% of the time.

Examples where it worked:

http://bgr.com/2016/04/10/watch-teslas-autopilot-feature-prevent-an-accident-with-a-merging-truck/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X-5fKzmy38

So I don’t know, maybe we aren’t ready for fully autonomous but the sort of
things that autopilot does are quite useful.  Maybe have the car sense if you
are not looking forward and/or take your hands off the wheel and beep - sort of
like the snooze waring some long haul truckers use, but let’s not dismiss the
technology out of hand.

Lawrence