Simple,
The EPA calculated the Leaf range based on the average of charging to
80% and 100%. Totally crazy, because anybody needing max range would
charge to 100% but that was why Nissan removed the 80% option, even
though customers wanted to keep it. I always charge to 80% to be gentle
on the battery as the Leaf *does* degrade its battery by 40% to approx
60% capacity in approx 50k mi in warmer climates (that is the point
where Nissan gives a warranty battery replacement, even though they
promised 70% but re-calibated the battery to lose the 4th bar around 60%
capacity and triggering the warranty if it occurs within the warranty
limits for time and mileage.)
Last week I saw a report from Tesloop (shuttle service LA <==> Las Vegas
in Model S) who always (daily) charge to 100% and saw 6% degradation
over 200k miles of service in their first car, so quite a difference!

I have a 2011 and can charge to 80% except for the rare occasion that I
need the full range. I still see capacity loss by reading the measured
Ah battery capacity from the BMS.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info

http://www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received
this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any
unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of
this message is prohibited.