On 10/04/2016 12:29 PM, Cor van de Water via EV wrote:
on the battery as the Leaf *does* degrade its battery by 40% to approx
60% capacity in approx 50k mi in warmer climates (that is the point
where Nissan gives a warranty battery replacement, even though they
promised 70% but re-calibated the battery to lose the 4th bar around 60%
capacity and triggering the warranty if it occurs within the warranty
limits for time and mileage.)
When I first got my Leaf, I was astonished at how crappy the instrumentation is/was. Coming from the conversion world, I expected to see, or find out, how much energy went into the battery and how much came out. Instead, I had these twelve "bars". Unacceptable granularity. Later, I found the "bars" were not even of equal value. After some pondering, I came to the conclusion that Nissan did things in that way to hide information from their customers. What other explanation could there be?

Even more astonishing is how Leaf owners accept the situation and speak of almost meaningless "bars". I'm not surprised to learn that Nissan dynamically recalibrates "bars" to manage their warranty threshold.