Jay Summet via EV wrote:
The miniBMS units have two large SMD resistors that dissipate up to 0.5 amps of
current while top ballancing, and get quite hot to the touch when doing so. No
heat sinks on them however, so I don't know if that would be "too hot" or not.

4v at 0.5a is 2 watts; that's a lot for a surface-mount resistor. In general, I think it's a bad idea to use surface-mount for hot parts. If you don't mind replacing the resistors, I'd rather use a leaded 5-watt resistor.

Obsolete (Ob-so-LETE). Adjective. 1. Something that is simple,
reliable, straightforward, readily available, easy to use, and
affordable. 2. Not what the salesman wants you to buy.