The MiniBMS bypass resistor is a 5w/4.7ohm power resistor (cement type with
axial leads). SMD (surface mount device) was probably meant to describe the
other devices on the board.   The large resistor on the MiniBMS (the version
I've worked with only has one) gets hot in use, so spraying a coating on it is
probably not a good idea.
Tom Keenan