The difference is that this inventor is one of the few people on the
planet who has a track record of creating a "battery breakthrough" that
made it into production and revolutionized the world of energy storage.
While the odds may still be against Goodenough's new invention, I think
that he has earned the right to be taken seriously.

Also, what would hismotivation to make an outrageous or bogus claim.  It
is not like he is shopping his invention to venture capitalist.  He is a
researcher who has already solidified a name for himself in the annals
of history.  At this point any unfounded claims would do more to tarnish
his reputation than to bring him any benefits.