I recently bought a 2013 Smart ED for $4500. I own the battery.
I took it to the Mercedes dealer (Leith, in Cary, NC) and they kept it for two
weeks. The only loan car they could give us (after we asked, they did not offer
it) was an ICE Smart, which is a horrible car to drive.

The car itself has been fun. It's not as refined as the LEAF, but drives like a
fast little go-cart! It feels like a really well done EV conversion, while the
LEAF feels like it was designed to be electric.
The lack of a service manual bothers me, but there seems to be a growing body
of DIY info, including a leafspy like device that's in the prototype stage and
a $200 code reader that's claimed to work with the Smart electric. We also have
an independent mechanic that is working with one of the local Smart EV owners
to learn how to repair them.

Bill