Way OT here, but months ago we drove a rental truck across country.  It was an
E85 flex-fuel rig.  We stopped someplace in Corn Country and filled up on
‘cheap fuel’ (E85) instead of regular E10 because it happened to be available.
Instead of getting 10-11 mpg as averaged for the first part of the trip using
E10, the mileage dropped to 6-7 mpg - a drop of about 25% in mpg over a
relatively flat section of interstate. Came back up to 11 mpg or so once we
filled back up with E10 at the next fill up (which came quickly after fewer
miles per tank using E85).
This reflects very well the known difference in energy content between ethanol
and gasoline.  Never bought E85 again, as it was very slow to accelerate the
moving truck to freeway speed using that fuel, and zero advantage in cost/mile.
At the prices mentioned below ($2.45/$3.01), the energy content is almost
exactly the same per $ for E85 and E10 (‘regular gas’). In other words, as we
found out during our real-world example, if you were to place either in your
flex-fuel vehicle, they would have virtually the same cost-per-mile. So, one is
not ‘way cheaper than the other’ when considering actual miles per $.
Performance wise, I’d consider E85 inferior to E10 based on around 250 miles of
suffering with it, and wondering why the gas needle was dropping so quickly.

Tom Keenan