> A Tesla would do that.

Not for the $12k I paid for my 2013 volt.

> So could any of the FCEVs. Whether the latter were feasible would depend
on where you live.

Not for the $12k I paid for my 2013 Volt.

And the FCEV would be a royal pain in the tusch because It has to be
refuled somewhere probably no closer than 50 m iles form my house, whereas
the PIH plugs in at home overnight and is full every morning with only 10
seconds of my time.  AND on the rare trip to grammas, I can refuel it on
almost any street corner.

> I also wonder if incentives for PIHs are impacting the offerings of
automakers.
> If there were no PIH incentives, would we have longer range pure EVs?  I
don't know the answer.

I do.  Even at the future expected low cost of batteries, it makes no
sense to haul around a 4-times heavier battery that adds $20,000 to the
cost of the car everyday forever that is only used once a month and takes
30 minutes to charge that one time a month you need it on the road,
compared to carrying around an extra 600 lbs of gas engine that can be
refuled anywhere, anytime in 5 minutes.

I think PIH's are hear to stay for the single car owner who does mostly
local travel but also needs the car for the occasional trip.  It makes no
economic sense to buy a 250 mile BEV and then rarely use it while still
suffering its limitations.

Bob, WB4aPR

Sent from my iPhone