I agree. Superficially, dimming street lights sound "brilliant". But to do it right would be very complicated. It's easy to detect motion. But it's difficult to detect if someone is lurking in the bushes. Also, the light from the lamps illuminates front yards to some degree. Would the motion detectors detect movement in those areas? What if someone moves very slowly. Will they outsmart the detector? Finally, how would it feel on the inside of your house or apartment if the lighting outside was going from bright to dim to bright... All of these issues may be solvable. I'm just saying this is complicated.

Peri

------ Original Message ------
From: "paul dove via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: "paul dove" <dov...@bellsouth.net>
Sent: 07-Jan-18 1:43:52 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Fwd: Self diming street lights

The lights are to stop crime or they were originally

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 7, 2018, at 12:37 PM, Robert Bruninga via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

As Day becomes the new night for cheap electricity and night will become
the most expensive, here is a brilliant idea in Norway.

Have the lights dim to 20% when no cars or people are driving by.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1114623_how-serious-
is-norway-about-climate-change-so-much-that-its-streetlights-self-dim

ANd if you watch the video they mention one of my concerns about a failed radar on any given pole is mitigated because all the lights also talk to
each other by RF so that they tell the other lights what is coming.

Neat! Saves 80% of light power while still providing full illumination
when someone needs it.

I am generally upset at night sky pollution due to excessive night
lighting.  But this is a step in the right direction.

Remember what our scities look like at night from the air? What a waste of
energy...

Bob
WB4APr