What I have seen from the Vectrix design and what their sales was pushing for,
was that the Vectrix design incorporated NiMH cells that were pushed several
times
beyond their max ratings.
I believe that the max rating for the cells was in the range of 100 Amps and
initially the
Vectrix was limited to below 150 or 200A max draws, but that resulted in a top
speed, I believe
just below 60 MPH.
That was unacceptable for the sales team, so they forced the engineering team
to open the
max draw up until the Vextrix could hit a top of 67 MPH and they could put that
in the
sales brochure and sell it as freeway capable without customer pushback.

However, the pushback came from physics, since the cells were now pushed about
3 times beyond their max rating to about 300A so even the main 225A fuse
started blowing.
The scooter is not designed to be taken apart easily, so fixing that was a
major hassle
and the extreme current draws caused the pack to overheat, despite 2 large and
very
good quality cooling fans (I still have one set) the cells died early. another
contributing
factor was that charging would commence full power and add more heat even when
the pack was already overheated if plugged in immediately upon return from a
trip, which is
the natural moment to plug in.
Grass-roots support actually released a software version that allowed a
cool-down between
drive and charging and throttle the charging to lower current so the cells had
a chance to
survive.
It was not that the NiMH cells were bad per se, they were abused to death.