The NEC defines a continuous load (for 225 amps or less) as one which is
expected to be operating for 1 hour or more in a 2 hour period.  A
continuous load may not exceed 80% of a branch circuit's maximum capacity.

You won't find many 15 amp branch circuits in recently built homes.  But
they're still common in older homes, so appliance manufacturers (including
those who make 120v "convenience" chargers for EVs) have to assume that they
might be plugged into a 15a circuit.  So except for those which specifically
say they have to be plugged into a 20a circuit (and have a NEMA 5-20p plug)
and/or a dedicated circuit typically are rated an no more than 1500 Watts
(125v * 15a * 0.8).

But if the appliance installation instructions say it has to be connected to
a dedicated circuit, the restrictions can be (but still might not be) less.

In fact, if the appliance is supposed to be connected with a cord and plug,
it could theoretically require as much as a 50 amp circuit.  That's the
rating of the largest 125 volt NEMA plug configuration (5-50).

I have to say though that I've never actually encountered a 120/125v circuit
and receptacle larger than 30 amps (NEMA 5-30 or 2-30).  I've seen plenty of
120/125v 20 amp circuits (NEMA 5-20 or 2-20).

FWIW, I seem to recall that the ComutaCar owner's manual recommended an AWG
12 power cord and a 20 amp circuit.  But it used a NEMA 5-15 connector.

With all that clarification out of the way, I think that what Dan is asking
about is something different.  It's also not what I'd call "VTG" (vehicle to
grid).   Unless I'm misunderstanding him, he just wants to use his EV to
power a large appliance rated at 2kW.  If we take the nominal voltage as
125v, this is 16 amps, perfectly fine as a continuous load on a dedicated 20
amp circuit or inverter.

So can this be done from a Leaf battery?  Well, probably, if your pockets
are deep enough.

A web search for custom voltage inverters turns up a few companies that will
bulid inverters to spec.  One of them, Myers Power Products Inc, says they
can build inverters with inputs "up to 800vdc" and output capacities from
500VA to 50kVA.

But I suggest that you sit down when you call.  These are industrial
electrical suppliers, not mass market manufacturers.  It wouldn't surprise
me at all to see them quote a price in the range of what a small house might
cost for such an inverter.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator