From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of rash via EV
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2018 7:21 PM
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: rash
Subject: [EVDL] suspicious of a bad calb cell?

Hello, I recently upgraded my lead-acid EV conversion to lithium,
specifically 46 CALB 72Ah cells. I've been conservative in my bms
settings, not allowing any cell to go above 3.55V or below 2.6V
(hopefully "conservative" limits with calb-published limits of 3.65 and
2.5 respectively). I took care when I got the batteries to balance them;
I've also been careful to not charge when the temp is below 0C. I've
been driving with them for about a month now and have been really happy
with the results so far (especially after shedding over a kilopound of
battery weight!) But just this week I've become suspicious of one
particular cell: now during charging its voltage rises significantly
faster than the other cells, and of course once it reaches 3.55V, my
charger pauses/ turns off, meaning the other cells don't get as much
charge as intended. Then all the cells find a "resting voltage" nearly
equal to each other (including the suspect cell).
But of course once charging resumes, the one cell still rises faster
than the rest.

Today I've had some luck turning down the current on the charger enough
so that the shunting in the BMS can (mostly) keep up, allowing the
remaining cells to charge. (Though this means of course that charging is
taking much
longer.) Is this a sign I got a bad cell? I also have a PowerLab8 (that
I haven't used in a long time), so I may experiment with it when I get
some time later in the week... These cells should still be under
warranty, so I can explore that route, but thought I'd get some feedback
here first; thanks!

Philip Rash
http://www.evalbum.com/3381