On Sun Apr 08 06:05:53 PDT 2018 ev@lists.evdl.org said:
>If you want a battery MANAGEMENT system, that will be more complex. The cheap
>ones basically stick a resistive load across the cell when it goes
>over-voltage.
>But this assumes that your charger is "smart" enough to go to a current lower
>than the bypass current. And, that the BMS can shut down the charger or
>controller to prevent over-and under-voltage events.

The one I've built for my leaf cells will tell you if any cell has gone
under/over. (a single LED for the whole pack)
It does up to 200ma or so of bypass regulation, which seems to be enough to
keep my cells balanced.
If you go overvoltage during charge, it turns on a relay - which I've wired to
the Reg Shutdown line on my PFC charger.

--

Try my Sensible Email package!  https://sourceforge.net/projects/sensibleemail/