From: EV <ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org> On Behalf Of Lee Hart via EV
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2018 11:31 PM
Subject: EVLN: mankamemotors.com EP-1 e-Motorcycle.in r:500km ts:251kph

Robert Bruninga via EV wrote:
> Why would anyone want to ride 300 miles on a motorcycle without
> stopping anyway?  I think motorcycles are more for local travel and
> fun.  Not boring 300 mile long trips.

I don't think people would routinely ride it 300 miles at a time. But just
like ICE cars that can go hundreds of miles without refueling, people want
the long range without recharging "just in case". It's a comfort factor;
they don't need it every day, but want it to be there when they need it.

I live in the midwest, and routinely drive my EVs. They have a range of
about 100 miles; enough to go anywhere in my local area. But if I want to
drive to (say) the Twin Cities and back, it can easily be a 200 mile round
trip. Our Leaf can't do it. In theory, I could charge someplace in the
Minneapolis/St. Paul before heading back; but the places I go don't have
fast-charging facilities, so I'd have to stay overnight to get enough
charge to get back home.

In these circumstances, I have to take my ICE. I'd rather take my EV, but
can't until it has more range.

--
The most dangerous enemy of a better solution is an existing one that is
just good enough. -- Eric S. Raymond