On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 7:43 PM Lee Hart via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> If fast charging is so vital, how come the market isn't flooded with
> fast chargers for cellphones, laptops, power tools, and all our other
> battery-operated toys?

?!?!?!?! Umm.... IT IS. The market most certainly is packed full with
fast chargers for cellphones. They all advertise how their new 9v wall
wart and cable will charge your phone up like 80% in 45 minutes or
some such thing. Companies like Samsung have specifically built fast
charging into their premium phones. Likewise on power tools. As you
might expect, people doing construction burn through batteries on
portable tools. So, those chargers tend to be quite fast also - they
even have thermal management but only in the form of "we won't charge
this battery until it's not hot anymore." Laptops don't tend to have
super fast chargers because you can usually use them plugged in anyway
so the battery ends up being more like a built-in UPS.

So, yeah, fast charging most certainly exists where there is a use
case for it. I can see the draw of fast charging for electric cars
too. It's true that 90% of the time you don't need it and can charge
slowly at home. But, as EVs become more prevalent there will be cases
where people have nothing else. In that case if you have to drive 700
miles somewhere then you need some fast chargers. I think the biggest
draw for fast chargers are that they fill the gap we currently have
where you can recharge quickly with gasoline (only maybe 4 minutes)
but you can't do that in an EV. So, people are used to filling up
quickly and want to retain that. This is mostly psychological but you
can't discount that. Psychological issues are very real and saying
"just charge at home" doesn't cut it. People aren't looking for your
alternatives, they're looking for ways to do what they want to do.
There are many people who won't get an EV until they feel like they
can charge it back up anywhere and quickly. Until then they've got
their gas guzzler that can do that.