The issue of wire size is ALWAYS dependent on what sort of current MAY
occur even in a fault condition. The wire must be increased in cross
section if there are heat retaining conditions such as conduit, insulation,
limited possibility of convective cooling.

So you don't size the wire based on an assumption of a balanced load, you
figure out what faults may occur and what breakers control the circuitry.
If you are uncertain you up the wire size, you do not cost reduce the
system and down size wiring on a guess. ..

I am not going to comment about a system I cannot see, anymore than a
competent doctor would diagnose a patient without seeing them.

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 3:25 AM EVDL Administrator via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> On 17 Feb 2019 at 18:02, Robert Bruninga via EV wrote:
>
> > Is this legal under the NEC?
>
> On a 20 amp breaker, definitely.  On a 30 amp breaker, probably not.
>
> I don't have a copy of the NEC handy, and I'm not a code expert, but IIRC
> the code has (or had) a provision for using a size smaller neutral to feed
> 120/240v balanced load (nearly equal current on both legs of the line).
> But
> since you can't warrant that both 120v receptacles will be in use at the
> same time, that exception (if it still exists) probably wouldn't apply to
> your case.
>
> Pro electricians who follow the code daily may have more or better
> information for you.
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

Michael E. Ross