Great question Ken, want the same answer!  I have 2 nice Sevcon Lead acid
chargers that I would like to re-purpose for charging Lithium.  End
voltages would likely be too high, I am planning on running a BMS. But when
max voltage is obtained I take it the BMS should start taking the load
instead?  Would keep the cells in check but then the BMS eats lots of watts
and generates heat?