One of the other considerations or two is that Toyota has access to
scientists and engineers who are (or should be well versed) in
hydrogen fuel cell technology.  Like the Prius, Toyota can take
business risks if they see some potential benefit that might pay off
in the future.  Quick refueling has been the bane of EVs and hydrogen
fuel cell tanks offer the potential to be refueled just as quickly as
an ICE vehicles.  As long as Toyota thinks that is possible, they will
continue in that direction.  They are not worried about next quarter's
financial results.

If EV battery packs can be recharged at faster and faster rates
without inducing negative impacts such as shortening pack life or
damaging the electrical infrastructure, Toyota may give up on hydrogen
fuel cell technology.  We may see it coming, but it won't be official
until we read it in the press.

Hopefully, the best technology wins.