From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruni...@usna.edu>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>; "Peri Hartman" <pe...@kotatko.com>
Cc: "Lee Hart" <leeah...@earthlink.net>
Sent: 10-Sep-19 12:05:06 PM
Subject: RE: [EVDL] li ion battery in cold weather

 Ok, then why don't battery heaters - which I thought the Bolt & Tesla
 have - give a good winter range ?

Because there is a balance temperature point above which you are burning
more kW just warming up the battery than you get in better range for the
same kWh..  In either case range in winter is less because the battery is
cold or you are using up kWh for warming the battery.  Either way, reduced
range.

bob