On 10 Feb 2020 at 15:48, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:

> Ultimately we may need legal clarification of what it means to own, or
> at least indefinitely own the right to use. Similar to the
> right-to-repair issues fomenting right now.

You'll see more of this in coming years.  It's a growing trend for business
to push their customers away from ownership and toward a rental
relationship.

Some other well known examples: software as a service instead of software
purchased and installed and used for years; streamed music and movies
instead of CDs and DVDs; books on an electronic gadget instead of physical
books on your bookshelf.

The goal is to lock in a long term continuous revenue stream for the
business.  Essentially, it's like being forced to forever rent your house or
car instead of being able to buy it.

You pay, but  not for the item; you pay for the right to USE the item.  The
"seller" still owns it.  They can revoke your right to use the item at any
time, based on arcane terms of a user agreement that you may have accepted
without even reading.  It's insidous.

The push to move as many consumers and products/services as possible to a
rental model means that you'll own less and less in coming years.  What you
don't physically own will be subject to confiscation any time, for any
reason.

And not just if your financial situation changes and you can't maintain the
rent.  Sometimes things you think you own are taken away through no fault of
your own.

In an infamous case a few years ago, Amazon removed a paid-for book from
users' Kindles because the rights on it had changed.

There are also several cases where people "bought" downloaded music or video
files that they now can't play because playing them requires that the
playback hardware or software contact a net server for permission -- and the
company that "sold" the files is out of business, or has just decided not to
support them any more.  Remember "Plays for Sure"?

Imagine someone coming to your door and announcing, "Sorry, you're not
allowed to read that book you bought 2 years ago any more.  Give it to me,"
or "Hey, we're going to re-release that movie, and we want you to go see it,
so hand over your Blue-Ray."

You'd never stand for it, which is why business loves this new model.
Things they want to take back just quietly vanish.

Tesla's model extends this to vehicles.  NOT just a leased Tesla, which
might be understandable, but one you bought and think you own!

It's outright theft of an item that this buyer paid for, and that he
expected to be able to use in the future.  It's comparable to Tesla sending
its goons to break into his garage and rip the self-driving hardware out of
the car.  It's just plain wrong. And if Tesla can do it to this buyer, they
can do it to you.

Peri speaks truth:  this should be illegal.  What's more, we shouldn't stand
for it.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator