On 18 Feb 2020 at 18:29, Willie via EV wrote:

> Should I propose a vote on the most idiotic EVDL post?
> Two responders treated you EXTREMELY gently.

This kind of response isn't in the collegial spirit we try for on the EVDL,
and it's not very helpful.  Let's discuss EVs, not EVDL members, please.

I'm conflicted about the German "gigafactory" situation.  Europe needs EVs
to even approach their already meager carbon reduction goals, but they also
need to preserve what few forests remain there for the same reason.

That said, we don't have many details here.  Could Tesla have found already
developed land that they could re-develop?  Why did they choose an area
where they'd have to mow down so many trees?  It would help if we knew.

Someone said that if Tesla didn't clear the land and build there, another
company would.  But anyone who'd build there can also build elsewhere.
Tesla isn't preventing the other (possibly less desirable) development by
building there.

In the end, they're turning a green area into concrete and asphalt.  You
just can't sugar-coat that.

EVs are part of what the world needs, but they're not the full answer by any
means.  They leave footprints too, and because most of Tesla's cars tend to
be bulky and overpowered (the 3 is less of a blunderbuss, thank goodness),
Tesla's environmental footprints are arguably deeper than some other EVs'
are.  I have to admit, though, that just as with ICEVs, EVs seem to be
rapidly moving in the "bigger is better" direction; so that distinction may
not last.

Appearances count.  When an EV company appears to be flouting environmental
law, as Tesla seems to be doing here, or at least straining against it, that
doesn't help the company's "green cred."  It just gives the EV naysayers
more ammunition for their attack.

I think Musk needs to give some ground, but his behavior history doesn't
make me confident that he will.  Already I read a few obviously thoughtful
and well-educated people online - people in the prime demographic and
psychographic categories for EV purchasing - who are clearly less than
impressed with the way Tesla is carrying on their business. This may end up
being yet another self-inflicted PR wound for Tesla.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator