Anyone know anything about data over powerlines?   Why can't the BMS
communicate over the mains?

    On Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 1:55:18 PM PDT, Lee Hart via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

 Mr. Sharkey via EV wrote:
> My fantasy BMS would be to have the cell modules communicate with the
> downstream electronics by way of fiber optic cable. Think of it, no
> galvanic coupling, complete lack of magnetic induction pickup (no
> shielding needed), wideband data path, low/no RF generation.

I've done a simple version of this. *Very* simple! :-)

My zener-lamp regulators are nothing but a zener diode and tungsten
light bulb. They are chosen not to conduct until the battery voltage
goes above the "fully charged" voltage. Then the zener conducts, and the
lamp lights to load down the charger and provide a visual indication.

But there is no light in a battery box. A light sensor anywhere in the
box won't see light until some regulator starts to conduct. So, I used a
cheap "night light" as my sensor. It is on when the box is dark, holding
a relay on to enable the charger. It turns off when it sees light; the
relay drops, and the charger switches to off or float.

Now, this is probably *too* simple for an expensive lithium pack. I used
it on lead-acids, which are a lot more forgiving. But it does make the
point that KISS designs can be a heck of a lot simpler and cheaper than
the usual high-tech massive-overkill solutions.

Lee Hart

--
If happiness is on your mind, here's a daily list to find:
    - something to do