Is there interest in taking this design and porting it to large format batteries?  That's what I was getting from the discussion of the miniBMS, in any case.

I'm definitely interested in helping with this project - I'm really good at programming, not so good at electronics.  :)

Cheers, Peter

On 4/28/20 9:28 AM, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
To follow up a bit, I have had several email exchanges with Tim. He has an amazing product which is open source and also available on ebay. I'm still working out my requirements. It seems every time I'm "done" the next time I look at my calcs I find a problem :) Plus, there are many options on what voltage or current to pick, in order to keep the price down for various components.

Anyway, I think I'm likely to buy a few of his blocks and BMS boards. Not sure about the central board yet, might integrate that with software.

His blocks are configurable so that you can have groups of parallel cells within each block (I think this is true) rather than the whole block as a series of individual cells.

Peri

------ Original Message ------
From: "Mr. Sharkey via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: "Mr. Sharkey" <mrshar...@juno.com>
Sent: 28-Apr-20 8:21:35 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Minibms?

A couple of weeks back, there was an ongoing discussion about building a custom battery that Peri was designing. An offshoot post from that by Tim Economu offered an open source BMS/cell module assembly project that he had worked up:

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/custom-battery-DKblock-td4696973.html (pointing to the Nabble archive)

https://github.com/offgridsystems (github resource repository)

I was surprised that this received no replies, as it looked like an interesting project. I had a look at the source code for the "Block Manager" (cell level monitor), and although it had features that wouldn't necessarily apply to a simple management system, all of the programming that would be needed was there and well written. It would likely be a matter of removing unneeded code for features that weren't going to be employed (thermal management for example), as well as adjusting voltage setpoints for your particular cell chemistry.

Tim Economu's qualifications and background are impeccable, you couldn't ask for a better collaborator on a project like this.

All of the components to replicate a v.2 or v.3 MiniBMS knock-off are available in through-the-hole packages. The parts count is low enough that they would still be fairly compact when completed.