On 9 Jun 2020 at 9:52, moskowitz via EV wrote:

> Extending that lifespan is viewed as a key advance because the pack could be
> reused in a second vehicle.

This sounds great IF IT ACTUALLY HAPPENS.  Still, I have some trouble seeing
such a gigantic cycle life increase as a significant advantage for the
typical EV owner.

First, there's that 16 year time limit.  The average person isn't going to
put much more than 300,000 miles (if that) on a vehicle in 16 years.  So
that, not a million miles, is the real world lifespan, at least in a
consumer vehicle.

Second, when the average person buys a new car, he expects to get a 100% new
car.  I don't see much market for putting used batteries in new cars.  I
could be wrong.

It might have more value for very high mileage use, such as taxicabs (if
they survive) or OTR trucks.

> It would cost about 10% more than the batteries now inside EVs, said
> Zeng

In the capitalist world, the cost to produce something is only distantly
related to what it costs the buyer. Rather, it's "how much can I get for
this?"

A million mile battery may only cost 10% more to manufacture, but you and I
won't pay 10% more for it.  I expect that a million mile battery (if it
actually arrives) will cost something between 2 and 6 times as much as a
150,000 mile battery.  The main financial advantage will go to big
institutional investors, not to us consumers.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator