I believe the statistic is that they "Average" 35 miles a day.  So it could be
10 miles a day Mon-Fri, 195 miles on saturday and zero on Sunday.  Etc.

Still "Most" of the time a vehicle with 50 mile range will probably sufficient,
but not ALL of the time.

My wife will go months without having the Dino burner turn on in the Volt.  The
first time this happened she thought something was wrong with the car because
she got a warning saying it was going to fire up the generator next time she
drove it (it starts the engine every two months to keep it lubricated and run
diagnostics).
But she also drives up to Tucson 6-10 times a year, that's typically a 190+
mile trip.