EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
From Beth's previous post on this car, we know that the car won't power up.
The dealer says the battery has at least one failed cell.  We don't know how
accurate that evaluation is.

I have a Leaf, and must say I don't particularly trust my dealership's advice, either. They have almost no knowledge or experience with the car, but are more than happy to tell you anything that will encourage you to spend money.

I would guess that there are independent EV repair shops in the Boston area that could replace the battery with a used one from a junkyard for a lot less than the dealer would charge.

Assuming Beth's car's rust isn't structural and that the battery failure is
the only mechanical problem, taking Jay's $2,500 number for a used battery,
and allowing $500 for repair labor, we get a value of about $1,500.

Seems awfully low.

This is a common problem with cars in general. Their market value is completely out of touch with its personal value to *you*.

My advice would be to decide what the car is worth to *you*. Do you like it? Love it? Then get it fixed. Or if you hate it, or are just longing for something better, then get rid of it.

Lee Hart

--
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is
        -- Antoine de Saint Exupery