I was upstate NY when the outside temp hit -52F one morning in
January, 1966.  So this interests me as many used block and oil pan
heaters.  Some brought their batteries in at night to keep them warm.

I feel your son's frustration.  I know there is active pack thermal
management and power is drawn from the pack when not plugged in.  He
would have to be plugged in to offset any pack power depletion due to
that thermal management.

I found this online (ref:
https://www.wisconsinpublicservice.com/savings/business/farm-tractor):

"A 1000-watt engine heater that runs 10 hours per day (overnight
typically) from late November through mid March will use about $90 in
electricity. A clock timer can save money on your electric bill by
activating the engine block heater two hours before it's normally
used, saving over $70 in electricity per year."  I saw where some
heaters had lesser wattage ratings and some that were higher.

I'd ask my co-workers what the power rating of  their block heaters
are and if they are on timers, etc.  A 1000-watt engine heater would
draw 8 amps which is the lowest(?) Level 1 charge rate on the Bolt.
But a Bolt's electrical needs are constant even in summer.  Do his
co-workers use timers?

I can supply him with a reference graph from Exxon Mobil showing the
peaking of Liquid Crude Supply around the year 2040:
https://corporate.exxonmobil.com/-/media/Global/Files/outlook-for-energy/2019-Outlook-for-Energy_v4.pdf
 (Slide #31)

The next question is what will his managers do as there will be more
EV production and adoption leading up and as we go through the
peaking?  Can he work an experiment with his managers to measure his
draw as a prelude to other EV charging in the future?

As a last resort, is there a way for him to negotiate a way to pay for
any "excess" electricity used?

Please keep us informed on what happens.

Peter