While there isn't a specific setting for that, you can get the same effect.

Newer bolts allow you to set a maximum SOC level, most folks set this to 80-90%
of full, when the vehicle gets to that level it stops charging.

While I haven't tried it, I believe you can adjust that all the way down to 50%
or perhaps lower.

So if you son arrived with say 60% of full capacity, and set the max charge
level to less than 60%, it wouldn't charge but would still run the battery
heater/etc. as needed

It would be a bit of a pain, since he'd need to set it back to 80-90% when he
got home, but it's doable.

If he's a hacker, there are a few folks working on reverse engineering the
canbus codes, so you could set up an Arduino/ESP/etc. with a canbus interface
and perhaps GPS and have it automatically change maximum charge levels based on
location. Without a GPS you could setup a button to tell it when he's at work,
or if you use an ESP32/ESP8266 it could be setup to scan for WiFi access points
that might only be available near work and determine location that way.

Of course the best option might be to discuss paying for charging with the
Boss, point out that it will draw less than 1.5kw when plugged into 120V and
maybe pay a flat rate per month for charging.

My PGP public key: https://vanderwal.us/evdl_pgp.key