Tesla preconditioning is almost always HEATING the battery, and this is a
GOOD thing!

Apparently what happened in Chicago is there is a large quantity of EV
owners that do not have home charging.  Supposedly a high proportion are
rideshare operators (Lyft/Uber) that lease EVs to use for work.  This means
they operate 100% on public charging.  If you park an EV outside below
freezing overnight, the pack will be below freezing in the morning, so if
you go to a DCFC station, the car will not be able to charge at all until
it first warms the battery over 0C.   But it will draw about 3-8kW from the
fast charger to heat the battery, but this can take anywhere from 20
minutes to 2 hours depending on how far below 0C the battery is.   This
means someone could be occupying a stall for an inordinate time waiting for
charging to actually start.

People who have charging at home do not have these problems, as the pack
can warm overnight on grid power without occupying a DCFC stall.  Those
with garages are in even better situations, as the pack usually doesn't
have as much cold soak.

You absolutely cannot charge ternary lithium batteries below freezing as it
will cause anode plating.   This is the same reaction if you attempt to put
too much power into a battery than it can take.   So the colder a battery
is, the less charge amps it can safely absorb, down to freezing where ANY
amps is too much.  Same thing for high SoC.  So if you want to charge a
battery fastest, it needs to be hot and discharged.   This is why you see
tapering as the SoC comes up during DCFC.

As a pack gets closer to freezing all charging has to taper, including
regen.  Below freezing, there can be no regen.

The anode plating is not reversible, it causes a permanent loss of
capacity.  In addition, a cell with a lot of plating damage has a much
higher likelihood of separator failure, which can result in thermal runaway
and burn your house down!

No properly engineered BMS will allow this to happen.

For Tesla 3/Y and 2021+ S/X, they use the drive unit and/or heat pump to
heat the battery.   The drive unit inverter can run in a mode, even
stationary, that will generate a lot of waste heat.  It makes a
recognizable buzzing sound when it's doing this.