I suspect a lot of people just don't understand all of this.  When I had my
first Tesla, I remember talking to many people at superchargers, and this
was in 2015 when most Tesla owners were still early adopters and were tech
savvy, but still the lack of understanding was rampant.

The EV manufacturers seem to want to hide all this from customers so they
don't "look bad".