I think the design kicks ass. And as an academic refuge from 23 years of corporate IT, I'd add a) making a logo more "corporate" makes it dissolve into the woodwork of generic logos, and b) anyone who would judge a technology based on the "corporate look" of a logo has a big FAIL written across their forehead and *should* get involved in proprietary software so as not to drag Plone down.

A funny thing about marketing is, you need to be choosy about who you bring to the table. If you bring a bunch of corporate bums to the Plone table, then Plone becomes known as the software of corporate bums.

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway
http://www.secoora.org
office: 332 Chapman Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530