Hi,

Turnout in Sunnyvale, California was low, but I still consider the event a
success. We had myself, Ross Patterson (local plonista), Glen Jarvis (new to
Plone but not new to Python) and 3 other guys (so 5 people other than
myself).

The event was expensive for me (nearly $1,000 when all was said and done).
It's difficult to find free space in this area. Google wasn't willing to
provide a space and most universities I contacted (believe it or not) wanted
to charge an hourly rate for the event. The other thing I realized is we
(the Plonista's in this area) really need to get out there and promote the
living daylights out of Plone. We are not as "Plone" friendly in this area
(unlike some of our European counterparts). So next year we start earlier
and I try harder to find a location that is free (or very low cost).

Sending out shwag became an issue because the online UPS system didn't allow
for just sending packages and having the third party charged, I needed UPS
numbers and I only received 2.

Next time we should either insist that the sponsor pay for shipping, or ship
it themselves like O'Reilly and Apress did. We should also try to raise
funds to pay for things like this.. not "rental" of space necessarily but
purchase of stickers and shipping of shwag and we should probably get a
shirt made for next year (not a tshirt but a nice Polo style shirt with the
World Plone Day Logo and the year). I could not twitter, blog or stream
video during the event (but this should be solved next year as we will plan
this event as a user group vs just me planning and coordinating for my area)

So what came out of this? A new user group in the area ZPUG Valley and I met
a couple other Plone types in the area I can call on if we need help on
project work. We converted two people that were on the fence about using
Plone.

I also connected with other people who can help with this event locally next
year. We will do this again next year. I also had posted on Linked In forums
and got a response from one of the Python guys (Python.org) that World Plone
Day needed to be posted to the python mailing lists (not sure if it was).

Considering I didn't promote as strongly as I should have the turnout was
still really good. Not a lot of people but enough to make me think with more
effort on the promotion side and much more time that this annual event could
grow.

Things I won't do again, I won't have two sessions that are the same -
morning session and afternoon session (the morning session had the most
interest and the most turnout. We'll have sessions for various levels, new
to plone, integrators and developers. When I'm at the Plone booth at Linux
World next year (and wherever else I wind up promoting plone I'll make sure
I talk about, hand out information about World Plone Day)

Let's pin down a date for 2009 as soon as we can. We should also set up a
promotion (shwag store) with Plone stuff for us to order from that benefits
the PF (and that maybe marketing team can draw from to cover costs)? Take a
look at what sixfeetup is putting together. We can most definitely add to
that but have the funds go right to the PF.

The books that were sent were a hit, especially the SQLAlchemy book, I was
afraid there was going to be some bloodshed cause everyone wanted that
book.

OK guys, so what's our next project??

OSCOM and PYCON are coming..

Donna (SnowWrite) Snow