Hi Roberto,

Am 08.11.2008 um 06:10 schrieb Roberto Allende:
Here are my proposals.
1. True international homepage
We need to have a multilingual website called worldploneday.org, so that each national team can translate announcements and infos into their national language and refer to it in their national PR.
when we started the wpd i thought it could be a good idea to have a site for wpd, but as the organization moved forward i change my mind. There are good reasons to keep the global communication in plone.org:

1. All the effort of the wpd should be in the local events. Following this argument, if you need a site, you should create one for your country or city, and when you promote the wpd in your country, you should use your site. If you need 'global' elements, you can add a google map and stuff like this we made already. Doing smt like this, every host has the freedom to do what it considers necessary and we don't force to have the same content translated to all the languages. The people who attended the wpd in my country got informed through our user group site, not the global place... so it's more important to invest time on the local version rather the global one,

2. Effort and resources. The wpd 2008 page was very simple, and still it took me too much time. We should need more people to do a global site, hosting and so on. Until we don't have a matre event i wouldn't invest resources on it.

3. Bringing people to plone.org or your local site is good. I like the idea of having the global event page few clicks close to the download plone button, or even the local one (we used plone cono sur page to promote wpd in our region). This is a good way to promote your local job, in our case, to promote our Plone user group.

These are good reasons. What I imagined was a site, where local groups can directly add their info, programme etc. That would reduce the amount of work done by you and others, who must keep a central page up-to-date. Posting on plone.org is not easy. Therefore I thought it would be easier to have a wpd-page where more people have access to.

Of course we can promote the wpd on any local page like worldploneday.de or zope.de, but this would be an "isolated" page. If a journalist takes a look at it, he sees a handful of wpd-events in Germany. He won't understand the global impact of the wpd at once. A google map might give him a hint, but I am not sure…

If everyone adds his event to a central wpd.org summing up all events, summing up all presentations and talks would be easy. And all the work would be done by local activists. If we all use our own page, information is spread over 20 or more sites around the world.

2. Refining target group
We discovered that a great percentage of our participants were people who already heard of Plone before or even uses it already. So it is good to have a mixture of basic talks like »What Is Plone?« or »The Plone Community«, but you definitely need some presentations for an advanced audience, for people who already know Plone and its community.

WPD should be an event to meet new people. I would suggest refining the communication instead. In our country most of the attendees were new people. And the 'old' ones cames to meet the new people. How you promote the event locally will impact the people you bring.

I must admit that we made too less noise, because the wpd came too late for our planning, so next year we will have a lot more communication, which certainly will be targeted to new people.

But there will always be many people who used Plone for a year or used Zope some five years ago, or had already done some evaluation and now wants to see, what is going on behind the doors. I was lucky that we were prepared for these people by chance and wanted to share our experience.

we need more help here. Gerry made a great job, but we should have more people assisting him.

Yes, all marketing is local. We have several communities in Germany which I would like to conquer. ;-)

Considering it was the first edition, i think it was a great event, so it is great you sent feedback because we need it to define the goals for wpd 2009.

Absolutely. It was really great!

Also the numbers, if you can send us how many people attended in Germany i would thank you a lot!

I hope to get the numbers after the weekend. Do we collect it anywere in a survey?

juh

--
Business: http://hasecke.com --- Private: http://hasecke.eu --- Blog: http://www.sudelbuch.de --- History: www.generationenprojekt.de --- Europe: www.wikitution.org

--
DZUG e.V. (Deutschsprachige Zope User Group)
http://www.zope.de