In Albuquerque, we've never had more than a Plone Users luncheon or happy
hour.  We took a baby step last year by using WPD to hold a
Python/Zope/Plone open house.  Our corporate daily newsletter gave us a
paragraph to explain that we were discussing content management and web
solutions to a variety of problems.  Our attendees were most of the local
Python community and many from the corporate web group.  Only when someone
arrived did they then learn that the event was a WPD one.

This year we're going to expand our outreach into the broader community,
involve other Plone shops, and see how it goes.  I like the idea that Plone
is "quick web communication."  I also think we'll emphasize the intersection
of web content management, social software & collaboration, and enterprise
portal capabilities.

If you explicitly promote WPD, I think you must be prepared to immediately
follow that up by answering the question, "What the heck is a Plone and why
should I care?"  We dodged that by calling the event one thing and using WPD
as the motivation, rationale, and the international "glue."

-- Karl