On 6 May 2009, at 01:44, Ross Patterson wrote:

I meant messaging in a sense larger than just marketing.  I think we
need to better communicate with and educate our communities of
consultants, developers, and users regarding subjects other than just
marketing and press.

For example, what expectations should consultants communicate to
technically minded clients about features in the next release?  When a
sysadmin and sometimes hacker at a non-profit gets excited about Plone
and starts advocating for its usage internally, what will she have read
that helped her set expectations that will guide her towards success?
What will a consultant have read by the time they decide to start taking
on Plone jobs to help guide ethical and successful consulting?  If any
of these people started or joined discussions on IRC, on the mailing
lists, or at a conference, will the community members participating in
those discussions have encountered enough queues about appropriate
messaging?

These kind of messages are not largely or exclusively technically,
marketing, or user oriented.  They require a cohesion of all concerns.

Maybe I'm trying to be structural about something that shouldn't be
addressed that way.  It does seem, however, that this is a significant
challenge for our communities.  No?

I see what you are getting at here. I think one event that does do a lot for this is the Plone Conference keynote by Alan and Alex. Or the 'what coming up in release X' talks that Alex usually does. These generally focus on what is coming up feature-wise and I think do a lot to set expectations of what is coming up. Now I know that Alex is often (and I hope you don't mind me saying this Alex) quite ambitious in his visions for Plone in some of these talks, but I think that is a good thing. How that will now relate to the release manager type role I'm not sure. Ie. I think Hanno would be in a much better position to say what is or isn't upcoming. But I think Alex does a very good spokesperson (dare I say BDFL?) type role.

Alex is doing something at the Plone Symposium East for this:
http://weblion.psu.edu/news/alexander-limi-to-open-plone-symposium-east-2009

I think this is a great avenue for communicating the message to the community on where Plone is going.

As for how we can do more of this and a more cohesive message across other mediums and forums... good question ;)

-Matt

--
Matt Hamilton                                       ma...@netsight.co.uk