On 09/12/2009, at 11:20 PM, Matt Hamilton wrote:

On 9 Dec 2009, at 10:57, Tim Knapp wrote:

While surfing around today I found this video on YouTube that explains
ECM in 'laymans' terms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-DmGNX0ohM

And as you say Dylan, it does appear to include 'capturing' documents as
one ECM feature.

Well that video would be my definition of Document Management. I guess DM is part of ECM and maybe they mean ECM as an umbrella term for all CM in an enterprise. But then most vendors distinguish between ECM and WCM.

So if we support such things we'd be an ECM. Sounds hard to do but then look at how alfresco does it?

http://www.alfresco.com/products/solutions/ecm/im/

They have a repository with workflow just like us except they just integrate with image capture systems and can manage the formats in a nice enough way to index and display them. Plone doesn't have to do these things out of the box, it just needs to integrate. I know at least one group doing TRIM integration with Plone now. If they open source it then thats one route for image capture into Plone. I guess what I'm saying is that its probably easier to be classified as an ECM than we think.

Hrm.

-Matt

--
Matt Hamilton                                       ma...@netsight.co.uk