> -- Russell Standish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > A lot of things have measure, not just observer
> > moments. For example, all strings in the Schmidhuber
> > plenitude have a measure given by the
> > Universal Prior. Not all strings are observer
> > moments.
>
>     You're playing with words.  The point is a measure
> distribution must be measure *of something*.  Thus it
> makes no sense to speak of "the measure distribution"
> given a wavefunction, unless you state what it is
> measure *of*.  The only measure distribution we have
> been dealing with in that context is of
> observer-moments.  I call that M(c) where c is a label

Not at all true. A lot of discussion has taken place in this list re
measure of strings in a Schmidhuber plenitude.

Measure is always taken to be the strength or density of a particular
object from within an ensemble (continuous or otherwise) of
objects. It is readily related to a sampling probability when the
measure distribution is normalisable.

Schroedinger's equation gives a measure distribution for outcomes of
particular observables, given certain constraints (a Hamiltonian and a
boundary condition). An observer moment must be the conjunction of
some vast array of observables having particular values.

> for an observer-moment, which I take to be a
> computation step.

Taking observer moments to be a computation step quietly introduces a
whole slew of assumptions, I wouldn't like to take on faith. Tread
carefully.

My own preference is to talk about a quantum history, which under some
(perhaps rather flaky) assumptions, could be identified with the
concept of observer moment.

                                                Cheers